Playing the Guitar in a Bad Economy - Musicians Must Be Creative

While the title of this article implies that it is just for the guitarist, in actuality, it's for all musicians who are struggling with today's slowing economy.

Let's face it, jobs are hard to come by these days...especially in corporate America. Many believe that the music industry is suffering even more. Musicians seem to be having more and more difficulty finding Gigs in their local areas. Therefore, for the sake of my fellow musicians, I won't discuss fame and fortune in this article. The topic here, will be geared more towards the local economies and the musicians that help to make them tick.

The truth be known, It's great to see hardship in our industry. Why? Because it's another way of sifting out the musicians who think the world owes them something. First, the world owes you NOTHING and it owes me NOTHING. Not one thing. Not even one half of one thing. This is a great starting point.

Many local musicians (pick any city) are used to the days when Gigs grew on trees. Most could walk into a club with a demo and be working that same week. It's not so easy these days, or so one might think. Whatever happened to the saying and belief that "when life throws you lemons, make lemonade"? Once again, the economy is sifting out the weak, and opening things up for the strong.

Here's the kicker. Gigs do still grow on trees if one knows what to look for and how to negotiate the deal. This is not the first bad economy and it won't be the last. Therefore, stop whining (if that's what you're doing), get off your tail, and THINK! Regretfully, thinking is not easy for some musicians to do, but perhaps it's time to break new ground. If this sounds rather intimidating, good. This was the intent!

In order to fully explain my proposed action plan for you, it's important to understand where I'm getting my information from, right? In other words, why trust me or this article if you're not privy to some of my early background. By the way, I have no interest whatsoever in playing Top-40 clubs, because I did it for so many years before playing nationally and internationally. However, all of those club-playing years paid off for me and I truly hope that you'll utilize your talent after reading this article. Where is my information coming from? Experience, experience, and more experience.

With over fifty years of guitar under my fingers, thousands of Gigs played, tours accomplished, publishing, recording, and compositions under my belt, I'd like to thank the east coast (New York in particular), for giving me my foundation in music. Of course, God is behind it all, so praise to him first for all things.

For those of you who don't understand the east coast music scene (I've lived in Southern California now for the past 30 years), it's important to understand that musicians can still work seven days each week if they so desire. The east coast takes good care of their local bands and musicians. The money, as I remember, is really good in places like New York, Chicago, Detroit, Boston, etc. Imagine working as much as you want doing what you love to do. The resulting skills (musicianship, knowledge of industry, negotiation, PR, etc.) are honed to the absolute maximum. I played approximately twenty years in those east coast circuits before moving on to other things as a guitarist.

I don't know where you live, but I can tell you that the west coast music scene is entirely different than the Midwest or east coast music scene. The difference is work, which equals money. So, how can I sit here on the west coast describing how good the east coast music scene is? Because the scene (wherever that is), will be whatever YOU make it. Oh, I can hear it now. What is this guy talking about? Allow me to explain.

Before moving west and further into the music industry, I dealt with club owners on a daily basis for twenty years. They all have something in common; the want, need, and the burning desire to make money. That's right, money! Cold, hard cash. With that thought in mind, do you really think a club owner in California is any different than a club owner in New York City? Believe me they're not. The only difference is what the local musicians have taught the local club owners, and what the local musicians accept from the local club owners. In other words, many musicians have ended up shooting themselves in the foot, by lowering their self esteem and self worth as a player. Many accept peanuts for pay. This is absurd folks. We all love music, but really...come on, get your plan in motion and then work it! There's a twist here. The twist is in adjusting your thinking. Especially if you're a working musician and receiving only peanuts for pay.

Make no mistake about it, every single club owner has one goal in mind. The goal is how much money will the patrons spend on any given night as a result of the entertainment in the house. And, how many people will continue to dance the night away to the great sounds of Jackie Jack and The Blue Plate Special?

The bottom line for the club owner is MONEY! Now, here's the interesting thing (especially west coast). It appears that many club musicians are into the "let me show you my awesome talent" thing, rather than understanding the value of a good paying Gig. I know that sounds a bit cold, but it is what it is folks.

The club owners are on to this ego thing and therefore, offer only peanuts to the talent. The talent teaches the club owners that this process is OK. Why? Because most musicians just want to play and be recognized for their talent. The money is secondary. But wait...isn't it all for the love of music? You're kidding me right? How many pats on the back do you need before you concentrate on making a good living in music? One, two, one hundred, fifty million? Believe me, if you have a family to provide for, those pats on the back are the last thing you should be thinking of. Sadly though, a majority of musicians live for the back patting thing. They just don't get it.

Let me give you a couple of examples of what I'm describing here. I remember when I first arrived in Hollywood. I soon established a great working band and went into the heart of Hollywood in search of a Gig. The first club owner I encountered offered me less than two peanuts. Being from New York I, of course, laughed in his face. Hey, who cares who plays in this town, I needed a Gig and was not impressed with the line of crap and laundry list of names that he spewed at me.

I left his club and went directly across the street to another club (not as hip as the one I had just left). I spoke with the club owner and he was very open and receptive to my idea. What was my idea? I negotiated a four peanut deal for salary, 50% of the door and 35% override from alcohol sales (be careful with this one. The ABC board watches for this), and anything over two thousand dollars from all sources was his to keep (unheard of, right?). Guess what! My quick little working band kicked the crap out of the newly signed (major label) band that played across the street. Further, we walked away with thousands and the other band walked with peanuts. Oh yeah, they worked under the mask of showcasing their talent.

The club owner across the street was livid. Night after night, we attracted massive crowds along with many of his patrons. Eventually he caved and asked me to name my price. Think about that....NAME MY PRICE! Wow, who do I think I am! Answer...I am!

Do you have any idea how much money a club with a good Bar makes every night? Even a hole-in-the-wall dive bar, can make $2,000.00 per night. That's with ten pool tables, and a 20-stool bar and a juke box. An upper end club can make 5,6,$7,000.00 per night just in alcohol sales. Add food and door receipts to that scenario and guess what you have? A very, very happy club owner. Now, what do you get? Peanuts? Why? Because that's what you accepted. Boycott that club or creatively appropriate his patrons to the club across the street and watch how fast the money appears in your bank account.

Negotiate, think creatively, put on your business hat, create your own rules, don't follow the crowd. Don't knock on the door...knock the door down! If someone wants your talent, then it's PLAY-FOR-PAY, NOT Pay-for-play.

There are hundreds of ways to make a good living in music. However, a certain confidence must be present in each negotiation. There are no rules. There is no set amount of money that a club will pay for a band. They'd all like you to believe that there is a set amount, but there's really not. The club owners pay only what a musician or band teaches them is acceptable. Think about the amount of money your talent will earn for the club owner! This should straighten out your thinking very quickly. Actually, if you really knew the amount of money some of these clubs take in, I'll bet you'd almost be angry and feeling a bit used and abused.

It's important to get a handle on what you're working for. Is it ego? Is it to show off your talent? Is it for the applause? Is it to earn money to buy food, pay a mortgage, or send your kids to college? Once you truly define your purpose, the rest will fall into place.

Yes, times are tough. Yes, a Gig is a Gig. However, remember this is the perfect time to negotiate with the club owners. They need business. They need to make money. So do you! That's the whole point. Make money. If you don't, someone else will.

top